How do you know what size harp for a lamp?
Guidelines for determining size of Harp Lamp Shade needed
- Height of Lamp Shade: approximately 2/3 rds height of lamp-base. ( height of lamp base: distance from bottom of lamp base to base of lamp socket)
- Bottom-diameter of Lamp Shade: approximately 1”-2” less than lamp-base height.
Do lamp harps come in different sizes?
Lamp Harp Types
Our regular harps, which are available with either nickel or brass-plating, range in size from 4” to 15”, while our heavy duty harps, which are also available in nickel and brass plating, come in sizes between 7” and 15”.
How do you put a harp on a lamp?
If you wish to remove the harp, for adjustment or replacement, first unscrew or otherwise remove the lamp finial above the lampshade, remove the shade, and gently squeeze the harp inward just above the harp base. The harp locks into the lamp via notched “legs” that slide into the short slotted arms of the harp base.
What is a harp fitting lamp shade?
Harps are flexible, often U-shaped parts that fit over a lamp’s light bulb, simultaneously protecting the bulb and providing the support or attachment piece for the lampshade. Most often, a harp’s base – the harp saddle – is attached to the lamp beneath the socket.
How do you measure the height of a lamp?
Measure from the surface you are placing the lamp to eye level. This is your base measurement. To find the average height of the shade, divide the base measurement by three. For example, let’s use 18″.
What is a harp on a lamp?
A lamp harp is the component of a lamp to which the lamp shade is attached. … The shade’s internal frame (known as a spider) mounts on this rod and is secured in place by a lamp finial.
How do I know if a lamp shade will fit?
To choose the right lamp shade width, measure your lamp base and multiply by two. For a round base, measure straight across; measure diagonally for a square base. The widest part of your shade should be at least a half-inch wider than the widest part of your base on each side.
How do you measure a lamp for a new shade?
Lamp shade dimensions are typically measured as top x bottom x slant.
- Top denotes the diameter (or width, if measuring a square lamp shade) of the top of the lamp shade.
- Bottom denotes the diameter (or width) of the bottom of the lamp shade.
- The slant is the length of the side of the lamp shade.
How do you measure a lampshade for a lamp?
The shade should be twice as wide as the lamp base, and one third of the total height of the lamp. So for a 6-inch lamp base, the shade should be at least 12 inches wide. And if the total height of the lamp (including the bulb and harp) is 24 inches, the shade should be 8 inches tall.
How do you attach a lampshade to a lamp?
How to Attach a Lamp Shade
- Disconnect your lamp.
- Remove the bulb from the socket cap. Remove the old lamp shade and place it to the side.
- Position the new shade on the lamp by sliding it gently over the top of the lamp stem. …
- Test for a proper fit. …
- Place a new light bulb inside the socket cap.
- Plug the lamp into a power strip or power socket.
How do you attach a lampshade to a table lamp?
How to Change a Lampshade
- Unplug your lamp at the electrical outlet.
- Remove the current shade and harp by unscrewing the finial, removing the shade, and squeezing the harp out of the saddle.
- Squeeze the new harp into the saddle.
- Add your new shade and screw on the finial to secure it.
What are the different types of lamp shade fittings?
There are three basic types of lamp shade fittings: spider fittings, uno fittings, and clip-on fittings: Spider Fittings: Spider fittings are the most common type of fitting for table and floor lamps and are used with harps.
What does Spider fit lamp shade mean?
A: spider refers to the cross bar configuration at the top of the shade, which requires a harp fixture rising from the base of the bulb to the top, upon which a screw-on finial holds the whole shade together.